Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dating, single, and in-between

Ever wonder when it's time to call it quits in your relationship? How do you know for certain? Well, only you can be the judge of that, and time will certainly tell. Many of us find ourselves trapped in a dead-end relationship wondering what to do next. You have two options 1-attempt to fix whats broken. 2-end it. Ending a long term relationship with your significant other can be much harder than it seems. However, in the long run it can benefit you tremendously. Why hold onto something that just isn't working in hopes of something miraculous to happen. For one, you can't teach and old dog new tricks. Secondly, why compromise your happiness if the flame just isn't there anymore? In the end, the two of you may work it out after some time apart. Time apart gives you a chance to explore new and exciting options, and also for the other person to perhaps "shape-up". As a young adult, we are still trying to figure out who we are, and what we can bring to the world. If someone doesn't appreciate the "you", you know and love, ditch him/her.
Also, you have to know who you are in order for someone else to really understand you. If you have a fear of being single, get over it. You can't explore your true self if you have a fear of being alone! Lastly, don't go looking for love, let it come to you!

4 comments:

Ms. B. said...

Thank you for this post. I have been off and on with this guy for a year and this weekend I realized that I have to stop trying to make it work because all in all I am not happy with where we are, where we have been or where we are going. Even though I can not let this relationship continue; I miss him more than ever and am sooo tempted to call him, BUT I am trying to be strong, but it is soooo hard. LOL. AAHH! This past few days has been a real struggle.

Personally, I am not afraid of being single, but I agree with you 100% on the part about exploring your true self and knowing who you are. I think that after being in such a confusing and time consuming relationship, it is time that I take a step back, reevaluate my worth, build myself up, and explore.
Thanks again!

SaM-1 said...

I agree...
No need to hold on to something that's going nowhere. In the words of my good friend "let it ride" and if it ain't meant to be then it wouldn't be!

carolina magic said...

I'm glad I read your post about whether to hold onto or call it quits on a relationship. This is always a tough call, but what you write makes good sense, Ash.

Thanks for blogging about this important topic--probably affects everyone who's alive.

A couple of suggestions for your blog posts.

1. Leave a space between each graph for easier reading.

2. Have at least one link in each post. Links very important in blogging.

Kells Bells said...

i totally agree with you. i just broke it off with boyfriend who i have been dating for 3 years!! there is no reason to just stay together when there is no reason to!