Monday, February 2, 2009

The mythical Mr. Right and the Ridiculous checklist.

I often ponder the question, as I am sure many singles do, "Is there really someone out there for all of us?" The answer: Sure there is, if we just wait for them. I like to think so, however, the person you end up dating or having a lasting relationship is going to be different than you or your expectations.

I used to have a friend, (we'll call her Jane). My friend Jane always had a "perfect man checklist". I like to call this guy the mythical Mr. Right. You know who this guy/girl is. He is the ideal version of the person you wish to date. Of course, no mortal man can hope to compete!

My friend (Jane) had this mental check list of this so-called Mr. Right. He had to be tall, have dark hair, play the guitar, play tennis, paint, the list went on and on. For years Jane remained single, because no man met all of the checklist characteristics. In other words, he was a made-up man in her mind, not a real man in her bed. For years Jane overlooked great guys who were nice, well-rounded, and great boyfriend material. Heck some of them even played tennis/guitar or whatever outlandish qualities she had on "the list."

When it came down to it, Jane was caught in a mythical world in which she thought prince charming was going to come and take her away on a white horse. Of course this prince charming must have dark hair and paint. Jane thought all of these things would make her happy, but turns out none of them did. Finally, one day Jane woke up and realized that this guy may not exist, and in order to discover something truly exciting, she had to burn her perfect man check list. I feel that we have to be willing to let go of what we perceive will make us happy in order to discover something that will in reality make us happy.

I don't think their truly is a "Mr. Right." How do we know what IS truly right for us? Is it possible that every relationship we have--no matter how brief--brings about a new lesson to be learned and a chance for us to grow?

I don't think we can put limitations on who we date, love, or even marry. However, I believe one thing is for certain-- lasting relationships all have one thing in common, and they definitely never involved checklists!

My advice to you is to go ahead and burn your "Mr. Right check-list", now and forever!

1 comment:

Ms. B. said...

"I like to think so, however, the person you end up dating or having a lasting relationship is going to be different than you or your expectations."

That is the part that freaks me out. What if my "one" is someone I see everyday, but don't give the time of day to because they aren't my "type."

" I feel that we have to be willing to let go of what we percieve will make us happy in order to discover something that will in reality make us happy."

I'm stealing this to put on my blog.

"Is it possible that every relationship we have--no matter how brief--brings about a new lesson to be learned and a chance for us to grow?"

Yes! Exactly. I think @ some point after the relationship ends whether you are still hurting or not, you become thankful for the relationship and all of the things you learned.